Friday, February 15, 2008

Costa Rica day 28 Feb. 5


Another great day and good news! The camera is working again. It had been locked into high definition which changed the configuration of the pictures. I guess it just needed to dry out. The other great thing is a lady in the internet room, following Paul's instructions, got the computer working on DSL so now I can update everything. I've been doing the blog as a draft and then copying and pasting.
We had an early breakfast yesterday and got onto the trail in the park by 7:30. We checked in at the interpretation booth, gave a donation of 2,000 colones and off we went. We hadn't gone 200' down the packed sandy trail when we were bombarded with almonds from high above. The monkeys were so glad to see us. Shortly after that we came across a path of green leaf cuttings crossing the trail. At last, the leaf cutting ants. We watched them for several minutes as they carried the pieces of leaves into the nest & got some pictures. This park is more of a leisurely walk than a hike like the other parks we've been in. A high canopy with beautiful ferns and philadendrons. In places where it's muddy there is an elevated walkway. It was while crossing one of these that Jo spotted a green racer snake about 2' long.
The path goes for 8 km to the next village and follows the shoreline so it's shady and cool. We walked a total of about 5 miles there and back saving the last of the trail for another day. Following the path we then came across howler monkeys, white chinned monkeys, coons, and finally a sloth who was scooting up a tree. I got a short video of him and Jo got a good shot although his head was hidden behind some leaves in the canopy. Towards the 4 km mark we were approached by a white chinned monkey standing upright in the middle of the path. I walked up to him and he climbed a small tree while I took pictures. Jo was standing behind me when he came down & walked quite close past my legs. The next thing I knew he was on my back! Scared the hell out of me. I swung around to shake him off and he got down but not before stealing a banana that was one of several we had in a pocket in my pack. The zipper on the pocket was broken and he'd seen them in there. Jo couldn't get a picture of the monkey on my back as it happened so fast we didn't have a chance. Maybe we should have gotten a shot of my shorts! He followed us for a while but I picked up a Tarzan club and he got the idea pretty quick. About halfway along the trail we came upon a park volunteer who had a questionaire to fill out. He wanted to know why we chose to visit the park and I explained that I'd heard monkey meat was quite good when cooked right and that sloth made a good stew. He was French so probaby thought it was some kind of gastronomic delight he hadn't heard of
We stopped part way back for a rest and to enjoy a shady spot on a fallen tree and watched the waves. We'd walked for about 6-7 hours. That's a long way for a guy like me who drives to the bus stop. The legs are really getting into shape and we're eating very well with lots of chicken, fish, veggies, and the best fresh fruit I've ever had. The pineapple and watermelon is incredibly good!
After we got back I downloaded our pics and then went to try the internet again. Our room doesn't have a three way outlet so I can't charge the mac up although I can do the batteries for the camera each night. Glad I have two of them. Well now we've found we can get on line with the laptop and plug it in in a covered dining area just outside our room where there are tables and coffee along with a 3 way plug right next to a table. I'm now in heaven!
For supper last night we walked around and tried a new place about a half a block away. I ordered chicken w/ coconut sauce and Jo had a seafood/rice dish. While waiting the waiter brought over something we'd never seen before for a snack. We both fell in love with it and it turns out it's fried breadfruit! First you peel it and then boil it and then salt it and fry it. I asked for another dish of it but we had eaten the last they had. He assured us they'd have more today so we'll be back.
The restaurant is open to the street as most of them are, but even though the street is dirt the wind was blowing the right way and the traffic is low and quiet unlike some of the villages we've been in where motorbikes w/o mufflers prevail.
It's dark here by 6 and all the locals come out and socialize. The kids are really cute with little pom poms in the girls hair. The locals here are darker than on the Pacific side and are decendants of Caribbean and Jamaican. The town is reasonably clean with the usual homeless dogs present. Lots of people on bicycles and most of them speak English moreso than the Pacific side.
We met a Dutch lady last night who highly recommended the boat ride up the canal through the mangroves to the next village North. Lots of birds, snakes etc. so that's now on our list of things to do. We'll stay overnight up there and then return the next day. We also want to head to Manzanilla just south of here for a few nights and right next to another game preserve. It's a small fishing village which is to our liking as the food is great, few tourists, and very friendly people.
Well my mornings work is now done so we'll head out for breakfast and then hopfully update the facebook.
Maggie and Lance if you read this let us know by email when we can reach you.
LINK OF THE DAY http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=28374&l=6c9eb&id=680056043

No comments:

 
eXTReMe Tracker